[CMake] Checking MSVC90 or higher?

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 16:46:36 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Tyler Roscoe <tyler at cryptio.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 02:30:36PM -0500, Robert Dailey wrote:
> > The problem is that there is no central location for this data. I was
> > referencing the useful
> > variables<http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Useful_Variables>page on the
> > CMake Wiki, and no mention of MSVC_VERSION existed.
>
> You don't think http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake2.6docs.html counts
> as a "central location"?

For the most part, I'd say that documentation page covers 98% of all the
information I've had to find, which is absolutely wonderful. This particular
bit of information happens to fall into that remaining 2%. The "Useful
variables" page contains information that the official documentation does
not, such as any mention of the MSVC90 variable. I'm simply pointing it out
as a minor issue and hopefully someone will merge the information some day.

> It's even available from the command line as
> cmake --help.

I am aware of this, but why bother when it is available online?

> The Useful Variables page is, by definition, not exhaustive.

It doesn't have to be, it just have to have good coverage of the topic(s) it
was designed to cover. I like that CMake has a Wiki, I think it suits it
perfectly, but the fact that we have some information on the Wiki and some
of it not on the wiki (Hence the official documentation) makes it slightly
less intuitive than it could be. I think it would be great to either have
every bit of documentation exclusively on the wiki OR have it exclusively on
the official documentation page. I am very grateful that CMake has
documentation in the first place, regardless of where it is placed. It would
most certainly be a bigger issue if it didn't exist. However, while the
documentation is great, that doesn't mean it couldn't use some improvement.

Anyway, I was just trying to be helpful by pointing out the mixup in the
documentation.

Again, thank you for your help.