[CMake] Linux In-the-source Build multiple modes without swithing

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Jun 22 09:57:41 EDT 2009

Jesper Eskilson wrote:

> - Be able to do "make {Debug|Release|...}".
> - Be able to use the same infrastructure for running cmake both on Unix
> and Windows. I currently have to maintain two different ways of running
> cmake: one for single-config build directories, and another for
> multiple-config build directories.
> - Be able to build multiple configurations in parallel.

I am pretty sure there is a feature request for this already in the bug
tracker.   It would be nice, but so far no one has "needed" it enough to
either fund its development or contribute a patch. :)
> I'd also like a Makefile-generator which fokuses only on GNU make. I get
> the feeling that much of the stuff which goes into the makefiles today
> are there in order to maintain compatibility with things like Watcom and
> Borland.

That is not true at all.  There are a few things but not much.   I don't
think the makefiles would benefit in any significant way by using gmake.
  Do you have a specific feature that is missing?

-Bill