[CMake] how to select static libraries for linking?

James C. Sutherland James.Sutherland at utah.edu
Thu Jun 11 19:05:32 EDT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 4:49 PM, James C. Sutherland wrote:

> I have an executable that links with HDF5 (by the way, is there any
> plan to create a "FindHDF5.cmake" file?).
> The problem is that I have two flavors of libraries:
> 	libhdf5_cpp.a		libhdf5.a
> 	libhdf5_cpp.dylib	libhdf5.dylib
> When I do
>  set( HDF5_LIBRARIES hdf5_cpp hdf5 )
> it seems that CMake ends up choosing the *.dylib rather than the *.a
> versions.  Is there a way to fix this so that I link statically?

Well, I tried
	 set( HDF5_LIBRARIES hdf5_cpp.a hdf5.a )
and that partly did the job.  It appears that somehow some other hdf5
dlls were being pulled in (hdf5_cpp.0.dylib).

I would like to generate executables that can be run on other systems,
but the problem is these DLLs are killing me!  Any tips would be great.