[CMake] Problems C/C++ system headers and Eclipse Generator

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jun 8 17:09:17 EDT 2009

On 08.06.09 22:45:44, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Montag 08 Juni 2009 22:32:43 schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> > On 08.06.09 22:12:00, Stefan Dröge wrote:
> > > I solved my problem, and I think I've found a bug:
> > > Since I'm German, my system language is set to German. Most programmes
> > > have german console output, gcc too.
> > > In CMakeFindEclipseCDT4.cmake the gcc output gets parsed, and
> > > expecting a string "search starts here", but on my German system there
> > > is only a "Suche beginnt hier" to find. ;-)
> > >
> > > My quick work around for this: set the language temporary to English like
> > > this: export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> > > and then start cmake-gui, or cmake.
> >
> > Thats not really a bug, adding translation support for such compiler
> > messages in code that tries to parse that output is insane (at least
> > without the compiler offering a way to backtranslate its messages). In
> > KDevelop3 we're having the same problem and there you have the choice of
> > either getting nicely formatted (and shortened) compiler output or
> > translated messages, but not both at the same time.
>
> But if you start a child process to parse its output, you should always run it
> in the default ("C") locale.

Right.

> I you cannot do this for some reason: you can always choose the translation
> domain with gettext and use the translated string to find the output.

Are you sure? I don't know gettext myself, but I do know Qt's
translation mechanism and there its impossible to find out the original
text given only the translation because you don't know the context
and/or comment used when translating the original text. However this
information is part of the "key" in the lookup table, hence needed.

Andreas

--
You'll be called to a post requiring ability in handling groups of people.