[CMake] Creating one Visual Studio solution for many configurations and platforms

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Jun 5 08:57:34 EDT 2009

It is not possible with present CMake, although, in my mind it would be a
reasonable feature request for CMake's Visual Studio generator to support
multiple architecture solution/project files. If the native build tool
supports a given feature, then CMake might reasonably be expected to take
advantage of that feature if there is enough demand for it within the CMake
community.
Visual Studio developers are used to having multiple configurations and
multiple architectures all build-able from within a single solution file.

Denis, while I respect your contributions to the CMake mailing list lately,
your comment "The fact that Microsoft invented something is not a proof that
it is normal." is irrelevant, off topic and slightly out of line. The
question was simply about whether or not something is possible in CMake...,
no more, no less. Please send future "religious opinions" to a more
appropriate mailing list. We want to encourage *everyone* to adopt CMake,
including Visual Studio developers.

Thanks,
David Cole

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Denis Scherbakov <denis_scherbakov at yahoo.com