[CMake] file(WRITE) versus configure_file

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 17:58:35 EDT 2009

2009/6/4 James Bigler <jamesbigler at gmail.com>:
> Back in the day before file(WRITE) there was write_file().  write_file() had
> the problem that you couldn't use the file as input to CMake, so you had to
> use configure_file.

What do you mean as "input", you mean a source file in
add_library or add_executable?

> Does file(WRITE) have this same restriction?

Don't know but I guess that now you can:

set_property(SOURCE blah.h PROPERTY GENERATED TRUE)
or
set_source_files_properties(blah.h PROPERTIES GENERATED TRUE)

I guess it should work even if blah.h is generated at CMake time.

> I currently use a blank template file for configure_file for one of my
> projects, and it would be nice to do away with this and just write a blank
> file when I need to.

Could you explain what do you mean by "blank file"?

--
Erk