[CMake] include_external_msproject creating duplicate projects in parent solution

Randy Hancock randy.hancock at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:47:48 EDT 2009

Hello all, It's my first post!

I'm having an issue with include_external_msproject. I have a
directory layout like so:

CMakeLists.txt
/src
    /common/CMakeLists.txt
    /string/CMakeLists.txt
    /time/CMakeLists.txt
/test
    /string/CMakeLists.txt
    /time/CMakeLists.txt
/build
    /src
    /test

I'm getting duplicate projects included in my top-level solution
(*.sln file). I have a cmake project() defined at the top level and in
the test projects for convenience during development. When I use
include_external_msproject in the subprojects it also adds the
external msproject to the parent. This is desirable, but lets say both
the test/time project and the test/string project include the common
lib. This makes common show up *twice* in the parent solution and
causes a bunch of unwanted errors in visual studio.

Does anyone know of a good workaround for this? It would be nice if
cmake would detect duplicate msprojects when using the
include_external_msproject command.

Thanks,
Randy