[CMake] win32 and x64 in the same generator?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 08:44:58 EDT 2009

> Our developers are used to a single .vcproj that knows how to build both
> 32-bit and 64-bit versions of libraries. Under CMake, 32-bit and 64-bit
> are considered separate platforms with separate generators and requiring
> separate binary directories.
>
> Conceptually and as a build engineer, this makes more sense to me.
> Pragmatically and as a developer, it just means extra hoops to jump
> through.

I do both 64 and 32 bit builds except I have separate build trees with
shared source. I do the same for different versions of visual studio.
I mean my development folder looks like this:

CMakeBased
32bit\vc6
       \vc.71
       \vc.80
       \vc.90
64bit\vc.80

The source (in CMakeBased) will appear just once however in some
instances 3 build trees may be using it.

John