[CMake] installing dependents

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Jul 17 15:16:26 EDT 2009

So I would love to see a corollary to BundleUtilities.cmake for Mac on
Windows and Linux, too.
Using GetPrerequisites to gather the set of dependent files is obviously the
first step.

Then, on Windows, a function that installs all the dependent dlls to the
same location as the executable would be awesome.

On Linux, I guess you would have to make sure everything you depend on is
either already installed in its install path, or aware of your install path,
or uses LD_LIBRARY_PATH -- the issues here are the ones I am least familiar
with (compared to Windows and Mac anyhow).

I don't think this should ever be fully automated because of licensing and
coyright issues. Technically, it is easy to gather the set of required files
to make something work on a practical level. The issue will be: "hey, you're
not allowed to copy *that* dll" because of such and such non-technical
reason...

Having said all this, and that I would love to see it, I must admit: it is
not presently on the radar for any CMake developers as far as I know. So, as
always: patches welcome. :-)

HTH,
David