[CMake] [New Module] FindHDF5.cmake

Will Dicharry wdicharry at stellarscience.com
Fri Jul 10 12:33:19 EDT 2009

Michael Jackson wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Brad King wrote:
>
>> Will Dicharry wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry about that, I meant to attach the module to the first email.  It
>>> is attached to this one.
>>
>> After you two have combined your versions and reached consensus,
>> please post again and Cc me.  Then I'll send instructions to get
>> CVS commit access.  I see no reason not to have co-maintainers
>> for a module.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Brad
>
> I'll let Will be the maintainer. My module ends up being a bit more
> specific to my own version of HDF5, ie, I am just looking for the
> libraries (c, c++, and High Level) but not really looking for the HDF5
> compiler scripts.
>
> Couple of observations about the module:
>
> Does it find the HDF5 C++ library?

No, but I'll add that in by invoking the HDF5 C++ wrapper compiler and
searching the output.

> Can it figure out if the HDF5 library is a static or dynamic library?
> (I configure a header file that has that information inside it which
> can then be tested for).

No, I'll look into how to determine that.  Suggestions welcome.

> Is it properly finding dependent libraries when needed, like szip or
> zip ( I don't as I do NOT compile HDF5 with that support)?

Yes, I need it to work across a number of platforms, many of which do
compile in szip support.  I search for all libraries linked by the
wrapper compiler and add them to the HDF5_LIBRARIES list.

> Make use of some sort of environment variable as a possible solution
> to finding the root of where HDF5 is installed, I personally use the
> environment variable "HDF5_INSTALL" for use in my script.

No.  I'd personally prefer to rely on setting something similar in the
cache rather than using an environment variable, but I'm open to
changing my opinion.

> I imagine what I _should_ be doing is creating a HDF5Config.cmake file
> and UseHDF5.cmake file for my own HDF5 distribution (which is based on
> HDF5 version 1.6.9 and uses CMake as its build system).
>
> Just my comments. If you want to see what I've come up with let me
> know. My git repo is public:
>
> http://www.bluequartz.net/cgi-bin/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=MXADataModel.git;a=blob_plain;f=Resources/CMake/MXAFindHDF5.cmake;hb=HEAD

I'll take a look so I can try to make the module as useful as possible.
Thanks for the suggestions!

--Will