[CMake] Alternative IDL compiler, and adding non-present sources

Jose Luis Blanco jlblanco at ctima.uma.es
Tue Jan 27 02:57:24 EST 2009

Hi all!

Issue 1:

Porting an old project to CMake I realized there's no way to modify the
predefined behavior when one adds an IDL file to a Visual Studio
project, which is associating it to "midl".

In our project we'd rather need to execute a different IDL compiler
(TAO_IDL), but declaring an "add_custom_command" i.e. in PREBUILD has no
effect since the "midl" association is hard-coded in the generator.

I am thinking on writing a patch for this, but prefer to have opinions
about the preferred way to do it to be consistent with the rest of CMake
commands and variables.

Issue 2:

Also related to the compilation of IDL files: If .cpp/.h files, which
does not exist yet but will be built by the IDL compiler, are added to
the project, CMake correctly complains about non-existing sources... Is
there any way to force CMake to add them and "trust us" that those
sources will exist someday?

Thanks!
Jose Luis

Jose-Luis Blanco-Claraco      Phone: +34 952 132848
Dpto. Ingenieria de Sistemas y Automatica
E.T.S.I. Telecomunicacion       Fax: +34 952 133361
Universidad de Malaga
Campus Universitario de Teatinos
29071 Malaga, Spain

http://www.isa.uma.es/jlblanco