[CMake] Problem with cmake 2.6.2 on Mac OS 10.5.5

Phipps, Eric T etphipp at sandia.gov
Thu Jan 22 11:14:20 EST 2009

Hello,

I apologize if this is a duplicate of a previous posting, but after
extensive searching I haven't been able to find anything related to the
trouble I am having.  I am having trouble using cmake on Mac OS 10.5.5, in
particular trying to compile Trilinos with cmake.  I have tried the
precompiled 2.6.2 Mac binary on the cmake download page, and the same
version compiled locally through macports.  In both cases I get the
following two errors in the cmake output when trying to configure Trilinos:

-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
CMake Error at /Applications/CMake
2.6-2.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/CMakeFindBinUtils.cmake:59
(MESSAGE):
  Could not find install_name_tool, please check your installation.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /Applications/CMake
2.6-2.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/CMakeDetermineCXXCompiler.cmake:1
65 (INCLUDE)
  cmake/package_arch/PackageArchGlobalMacros.cmake:1266 (ENABLE_LANGUAGE)
  CMakeLists.txt:227 (PACKAGE_ARCH_SETUP_ENV)

CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be
not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ENV_VAR
CMake Error: Could not find cmake module
file:/Users/etphipp/development/Trilinos/Dev/Trilinos/cmake_build/CMakeFiles
/CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake

I am very new to cmake so I am not sure exactly what is causing these
errors.  Note that install_name_tool does exist on the system:

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   263K Sep 23  2007 /usr/bin/install_name_tool*

I have no trouble compiling exactly the same Trilinos source with cmake
2.6.2 on linux.  Attached is the result of running "cmake
--system-information".  Note that it says that CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_ENV_VAR is
set to "CXX".

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

-Eric

--
Eric T. Phipps, PhD
Senior Member of the Technical Staff