[CMake] File modification detection based on content (not timestamp)

Hendrik Sattler post at hendrik-sattler.de
Thu Jan 8 01:42:25 EST 2009

Am Thursday 08 January 2009 00:13:55 schrieb Robin Vobruba:
> Also, i usually generate GCC makefiles with CMake, and they use only
> timestamps. Make itsself does not have the functionality integrated,
> as much as i know, so it has to be added by cmake. Automake eg, also
> adds this functionality to makefiles. I do not know about VS projects,
> maybe that always uses tiemstamps only, or you CMake specifies this
> via a projectfile internal flag or something.

Build time dependency checking is done completely by make when using
makefiles. And the usual make uses timestamps to do this.
See e.g. http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1702/ -> "Reliability issues"
or other papers that have written enough about this problem like
http://www.genode-labs.com/publications/scons-vs-make-2008.pdf

If you want to change this, improve make or use a different method.

HS