[CMake] Dependency scanning for non-supported languages?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Dec 30 22:11:07 EST 2009

On 2009-12-30 12:30-0800 Talin wrote:

> That is more along the lines of what I was looking for. Thanks! :)
> One further question: Using the technique you describe, the dependency file
> will need to be regenerated each time a source file changes - i.e. if I add
> a new "import" statement to a source file, the list of dependencies will
> change, which will require the dependency file to be rebuilt. Can that
> rebuild happen as part of the normal build, or can that only be done at
> CMake time?

Good question.  The dependency information is used by CMake (at CMake time)
to configure a custom command to be run at build time with the correct
dependencies.  Thus, the answer to your question must be that build time is
too late to collect the dependency information used by CMake.  Instead, you
must do that at CMake time like I outlined.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).