[CMake] third party library dependencies

Marcel Loose loose at astron.nl
Mon Dec 21 08:16:59 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-12-21 at 13:32 +0100, Michael Wild wrote:
> On 21. Dec, 2009, at 12:17 , Marcel Loose wrote:

> >> With shared libraries, you need not and *should not* explicitly link
> >> recursive dependencies.  If you have both static and shared libraries,
> >> the output of ldd could be used to find the recursive deps needed to
> >> link statically.  This sucks and the logic to determine whether to put
> >> recursive deps in FOO_LIBRARIES ends up going in FindFoo.cmake which is
> >> insane.  FWIW, pkg-config has Libs.private for this purpose.
> >>
> >> Finally, it would be nice to easily associate a symbol with a call to
> >> find_library.  That is, suppose libA links to libB and libC, but libA
> >> never exposes libB or libC to users.  To do the right thing (without
> >> abusing ldd), FindA.cmake needs to try linking with just -lA (which will
> >> work with all shared libs), then try with -lA -lB and -lA -lC before
> >> falling back to -lA -lB -lC (which is required when all libs are
> >> static).  A better way which does not have exponential complexity would
> >> be to declare that the symbol "B_Foo" belongs with a libB and "C_Bar"
> >> belongs with a libC.  So when linking with -lA fails, libB would be
> >> added exactly when B_Foo is undefined.
> >>
> >> Jed
> >
> > Hi Jed,
> >
> > Why do you consider explicit linking of recursive dependencies a bad
> > thing? It's superfluous, I agree, but there's no harm in it, right?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Marcel Loose.
> >

> It's called overlinking and can be a real problem for package maintainers. See e.g. here for an explanation: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Overlinking
>
> Michael

OK, I see.

This raises another question, which was already alluded to in this
thread, and may have been asked before on this list:

Is there a way to write FindXXX.cmake macros in such a way that they
will always return the correct list of libraries to link against? I.e.,
a short list of direct dependencies when linking against shared
libraries, and a long complete list of recursive dependencies when
linking against static libraries.

Best regards,
Marcel Loose.