[CMake] "Interface not registered" error in Visual Studio after running cmake

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Sat Dec 12 09:24:01 EST 2009

All CMake does is create a directory and copy a file to your user macros
folder and add some registry keys to tell Visual Studio that macros are
there.

The folder is something like:
{YOUR_MY_DOCUMENTS_FOLDER}\Visual Studio
2005\Projects\VSMacros80\CMakeMacros

And the reg keys are at something like:
Software\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\{VERSION_NUMBER}\\vsmacros\\OtherProjects7
    (one of the subkeys of that key is the one that CMake added... probably
the one with the highest number -- just look at its Path reg value to see
which one points to the CMake macros file...)

You can just delete the macros and the reg keys to see if that fixes it.

I'm doubtful that CMake is the cause of these woes, though. I've never heard
this sort of report before -- are you up to date with respect to VS service
packs and updates?

HTH,
David