[CMake] Copying cmake generated files to another machine

steve naroff snaroff at apple.com
Sun Dec 6 11:33:11 EST 2009

Hi, I work on llvm/clang (a client of cmake).

For development, cmake is wonderful (no big issues).

For deployment, cmake's inability to copy it's generated project files
to another machine is causing us some grief. The scenario is quite
simple: I want to copy the llvm/clang source tree over another machine
(running the same OS/tools) and build it *without* having to rerun
cmake and generate *new* project files. Without this ability, it
requires the target machine have cmake installed (which isn't
convenient for some clients that want to build/use/master the result
of the llvm/clang build). What was a 1 step process (open the project
file) now becomes a 3 step process (install cmake, run it to generate
the project file, open the project file).

Last time I checked (about a year ago) the usage model I've outlined
wasn't supported. Is this still the case? Is there any workaround?

Thanks for any help with this,

snaroff