[CMake] Source file symlinks on out-of-source builds

Rodolfo Lima rodolfo at rodsoft.org
Thu Dec 3 17:23:36 EST 2009

John Drescher escreveu:
> install screen

Thanks for the tip but that's not my point in this whole thread (i.e.
I'm not looking for solutions, I'm giving one).

CMake does so much complicate things to make working with software
projects a seamless experience across different platforms that I doubt
that automatically managing a symlink tree is such a huge effort.

You know, there's workarounds for everything. Before cmake I wrote a gcc
wrapper to make its output look like what cmake does to it. If this
wasn't implemented in cmake and I come up with this idea, people would
say "but you can write a wrap to gcc to filter its output, why bother?".

That's how I see some suggestions in this thread. IMHO cmake came to be
when people were sick of workarounds (like autotools) to manage
projects. So why resort to workarounds like we used to do when better,
seamless solutions exist? (I'm talking in the point of view of someone
that doesn't use IDE's).

[]s,
rod