[CMake] CMake Digest, Vol 64, Issue 50

Steve Mathers stevenmathers at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 19 20:31:43 EDT 2009

Hi Michael.  that option is what I am already doing, which is why I am confused.  'make' from the terminal works great, 'make' from eclipse craps out.

I tried running eclipse from the terminal, and it didnt help.

I noticed something else strange

here is the output from eclipse once I have done a make from the terminal, then done a build in eclipse (essentially nothing to do, so eclipse doesnt bomb)

**** Build of configuration Linux GCC for project mdc ****

make  VERBOSE=1 -d
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i686-redhat-linux-gnu
Reading makefiles...
Reading makefile `Makefile'...
Updating makefiles....
 Considering target file `Makefile'.
  Looking for an implicit rule for `Makefile'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `Makefile,v'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `RCS/Makefile,v'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `RCS/Makefile'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `s.Makefile'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `SCCS/s.Makefile'.
  No implicit rule found for `Makefile'.
  Finished prerequisites of target file `Makefile'.
 No need to remake target `Makefile'.
Updating goal targets....

etc....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOW, here is the output having modfiied foo so that it needs to be rebuilt.  (one run)

**** Build of configuration Linux GCC for project mdc ****

make VERBOSE=1 -d
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i686-redhat-linux-gnu
Reading makefiles...
Reading makefile `Makefile'...
Updating makefiles....
 Considering target file `Makefile'.
  Looking for an implicit rule for `Makefile'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `Makefile,v'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `RCS/Makefile,v'.
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/appmonitor.dir/AppMonitor/foo.cpp.o] Error 1
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `RCS/Makefile'.
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/appmonitor.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `s.Makefile'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `Makefile'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `SCCS/s.Makefile'.
  No implicit rule found for `Makefile'.

and here is the output of a second run...

notice how the errors are reported in different stages...  is that because there is some kind of concurrnecy thing going on with the build or what?  Is it important?  I have no clue about this, but it seems to me that eclipse is alomst trying to compete with the makefile if that makes sense?  I dont know...