[CMake] Find module for the Subversion API

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 16:32:57 EDT 2009

In case no one knows this, the Subversion API requires over 10 separate
dependencies in order to build it into a fully-functional API. In other
words, there are certain dependencies that are optional, but I'm assuming a
case where they are all required as far as the Find module is concerned
(i.e. it can't assume the user won't use certain features and thus is not
allowed to omit those dependencies from its search). A list of a few that it
requires:
apr
apr-util
apr-iconv
neon
berkeleydb
openssl

There are many others it depends on. I had considered writing find modules
for all of these, but there is one major thing stopping me. I do not have
the knowledge or resources to write find modules for all of these myself. I
would love more than anything to be able to write find modules for these and
contribute them to the community. I have no experience with the MAC and no
development experience with Linux. Only on Windows. Additionally, some of
these libraries are so tricky to build on Windows that it would be difficult
to setup a reliable way for the Find module to find these libraries.

What I've been doing is maintaining a fixed list of libraries in my CMake
scripts and just moving those dependencies in a predictable location so that
I can "hard-code" the paths to those libraries and includes into my CMake
projects. What would you guys do in this situation? I obviously could not
reliably create find modules for these, given the reasons above. But also
because there is no bold "standard" for find modules. Even when you do know
what needs to be done to find these libraries, you have to know a standard
way of setting it up that is acceptable to the CMake project.

My head is clearly spinning on how to approach this... I have a lot of third
party dependencies that I have to maintain lists of paths and files for just
so I can set up my project with that information.

---------
Robert Dailey