[CMake] Setting variables in CMakeLists.txt

barcaroller barcaroller at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 30 17:45:36 EDT 2009

I'm having problems setting variables in my CMakeLists.txt files.
Specifically, the following two lines have absolutely no effect, regardless
of what values I give them:

    SET (CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE    ON)
    SET (CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHS  ON)

    Note: I've also tried TRUE and YES instead of ON.

Here's what my project looks like.

  project

     +--- src     <- contains CMakeLists.txt

     +--- build   <- cmake ../src ; make

Here are the commands that I use to build my code.  Note: I remove the cache
completely using 'rm -f -r'.

    > cd build
    > rm -f -r *
    > cmake ../src  or  cmake -LA ../src
    > make

The absolute pathnames are particularly problematic because I use the C
"__FILE__" macro for logging (the absolute pathnames are too long).

Does anyone know what I need to do to set those two variables?