[CMake] Invoking the install target with components

Adolfo Rodríguez dofo79 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 07:14:30 EDT 2009

2009/4/29 Alexander Neundorf <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net>

> On Wednesday 29 April 2009, Adolfo Rodríguez wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using the COMPONENT option of the install command, and found myself
> not
> > knowing how to invoke the installation of only one component. Browsing
> the
> > list's archives, I found a 2006 post [1] that suggests doing the
> following:
> >
> > make preinstall && cmake -DCOMPONENT=foo -P cmake_install.cmake
>
> I think with CMake 2.6 preinstall is not necessary anymore (with 2.4 this
> does
> the relinking, which is replaced by directly replacing the RPATH inside the
> ELF executables).

Thanks for the reply. I tried both alternatives --with and without invoking
the preinstall target-- and noticed that if the cmake configuration is out
of date, and needs to be regenerated, then executing only
cmake -DCOMPONENT=foo -P cmake_install.cmake
won't trigger a run of cmake + make before the installation takes place.
Since invoking make install _does_ run cmake + make if necessary, I prefer
to have the same behavior and do

make preinstall && cmake -DCOMPONENT=foo -P cmake_install.cmake

I'm using cmake 2.6.3

> > I tried it and it works, but I find it somewhat complicated for frequent
> > use. Is there an alternative way to invoke the installation of a
> particular
> > component? If not, my second option would be to create custom targets for
> > each of our (very few) component types (e.g., install_foo), any better
> > ideas?
>
> No, not really.

OK, will create a custom target for convenience purposes.

> Alex

Thanks!

--
Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian