[CMake] Find scripts and dependent libraries

Adolfo Rodríguez dofo79 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 03:39:32 EDT 2009

I would be definitely interested in FindACE and FindTAO scripts, and
although I currently don't have much spare time, I'd be happy to contribute
with whatever I can to the writing of such scripts. I currently use the
LibFindMacros.cmake script posted here [1], but I'm considering moving to
the FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS script [2]. You might also find this
link useful [3].

Cheers

[1] http://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:How_To_Find_Libraries
[2]
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake2.6docs.html#module:FindPackageHandleStandardArgs
[3] http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Improving_Find*_Modules

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Gregory Peele ARA/CFD <gpeele at ara.com>wrote:

> I have a question about the expected behavior of Find scripts when a found
> library or program has transitive linking dependencies on other shared
> libraries that are not available on the system library path, but visible to
> Find scripts because of the CMake search paths.  I'm using GCC 4.2 on
> Linux-i686 and Linux-x86_64, not sure which other systems have similar
> linking behavior.
>
> For example, if I call FIND_PACKAGE ("DevIL"), it will pick up my custom
> IL, ILU, and ILUT libraries, but when my software tries to link against it,
> GCC bombs out because it can't find IL link dependencies such as lcms or mng
> that are not installed on my system but are provided by my project, and it
> will use the system libpng / libz rather than my custom ones (not really a
> problem, but not expected either.)  Looking at FindDevIL.cmake, it does not
> attempt to search for these dependencies.  On the other hand, if I call
> FIND_PACKAGE ("PNG") it will correctly pick up my custom libz as a
> dependency and include it in PNG_LIBRARIES.
>
> Which of these two behaviors should be the "expected" one?  I'm in the
> process of writing a fair number of Find scripts so I want to do it the
> "right" way (and be able to build my project of course.)
>
> Incidentally, I'm writing Find scripts for the following libraries:
> CppUnit, LCMS, OGDI (an optional GDAL dependency with support for oddball
> military formats), ACE, TAO, MNG, PROJ4, Presagis OpenFlight, and a FindUUID
> script which attempts to determine the "native" support for UUID
> manipulation (e.g. Rpcrt4.lib on Windows, e2fslibs libuuid on Linux) and
> reports which style of UUIDs it found as well as necessary link and include
> options.  I would be happy to submit any of them if there's interest, but
> they're only really tested for my particular project on Linux and Windows.
>
> Thanks,
> Gregory Peele, Jr.
> Applied Research Associates, Inc.

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ