[CMake] Question regarding out-of-tree builds and Eclipse CDT4 project generation

Allen Gooch allen.gooch at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 18:18:43 EDT 2009

I am trying to get an out-of-tree build Eclipse CDT4 project setup in a
Linux host environment using CMake-2.7 prerelease built from CVS a couple of
weeks ago.  Following the instructions at
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Eclipse_CDT4_Generator I do the following:

$ pwd
/home/agooch/dev
$ ls
src/
$ mkdir cdt4-build
$ cd cdt4-build
$ cmake -G"Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles" -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../src
-- processing CMakeLists.txt
-- <other processing output elided>
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/agooch/dev/src
$ ls
total 0
$

The way the documentation reads ("You will now find two Eclipse files in
your build tree") I would expect the .project and .cproject files to be
written to /home/agooch/dev/cdt4-build, however as the output indicates
those files have been written at the top-level of the src tree.

How can I get the generated files to be built into the build tree?

Many thanks,

Allen Gooch