[CMake] looking for Visual Studio installation

Piotr Dobrogost pd at opensource.dobrogost.pl
Mon Apr 20 08:20:02 EDT 2009

Bill Hoffman wrote:

> > I am not sure I want to support something like this.  Even if CMake
> > picked the right vsvars and setup the environment when cmake-gui was
> > running, the user would have to know how to run vsvars.bat to run nmake
> > at the end of the day.

Then it would be all nmake's fault and not cmake which has run without
problems and created a build tree  :)

Now seriously. I get your point. Running simple bat file to setup
environment _temporally_ is from one side very flexible solution
(especially when you have more than one VS installed) but from the other
side it just doesn't sound good to have to remember to run some funny
bat file every time you want to use command line tools (especially when
you have only one VS installed).

This is really MS's fault they don't provide the way of setting
environment for VS command line tools in _persistent_ way.
I submitted a suggestion on MS Connect. We'll see what MS has to say on
this.
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=433711

If and to what extend should cmake itself repair this fault is
questionable. That's why we're discussing this in this thread  :)

> > Maybe the answer is to create a .bat file that
> > runs vsvars.bat and cmake-gui.exe and create a short cut to that.  You
> > could put that on the desktop and it should work.

That would work but I'm not sure if _this_ is the answer  :)

-- Piotr Dobrogost
*** curlpp.org - c++ wrapper for libcurl ***