[CMake] findBoost says it finds static unit testing libraries, but does not set them

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Sun Apr 19 17:17:08 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Mike Jackson
<mike.jackson at bluequartz.net>wrote:

> I think at this point the FindBoost.cmake file is just going to have
> to have the same options that BJam has for building boost in all of
> its variations:
>
> Shared or Static libraries
> Debug or Release
> Static or Dynamic C++ Runtime Link

I like your idea obviously, I'm just trying to think of a way to do it
without deprecating Boost_USE_STATIC_LIBS.  The most straightforward
solution would be to require the user to define Boost_USE_STATIC_RUNTIME or
something like that to get the "-s", but this would also change behaviour on
WIN32.  This doesn't seem acceptable to me.

> Just another thing to add to the mix of possibilities.
>
> What would _really_ be helpful is if we could simply get the current
> Boost build system (BJam) to just create a "UseBoost.cmake" file then
> all of these issues would just go away. Wouldn't that just be a
> Utopian solution. ;-)

This might be helpful but could also backfire.  We have a giant directory of
boost builds at work, for example.  Depending on the project we're using
them for sometimes we need shared libraries and sometimes static.

--
Philip Lowman