[CMake] CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set.

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Sat Apr 18 15:19:17 EDT 2009

Piotr Dobrogost wrote:
> Bill Hoffman wrote:
>
>> I have put in a fix in CVS CMake:
>
>> I was able to reproduce the problem pretty easy.  The fix was to remove
>> some configured files if the compiler failed its test compile.
>
> Wow, great!
> Thanks a lot.
>
>>> I asked this question here
>>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/deb76102-7977-4e71-8e13-7da8cc990997
>>>
>> There are two ways that I know of:
>>
>> 1. put the VC environment stuff in your environment by hand into the my
>> computer properties:
>> INCLUDE, LIB, PATH
>
> That's not so simple. See my recent post in above forum.

Actually, it is that simple.  I do it all the time.   I have a bash file
that sets the variables needed for the compiler to work.

The only ones it needs are INCLUDE, LIB, PATH, and LIBPATH:

export INCLUDE="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\VC\ATLMFC\INCLUDE;C
:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\INCLUDE;C:\Program
Files\\Microso
ft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\include;"

export LIB="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\VC\ATLMFC\LIB;C:\Progra
m Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\LIB;C:\Program Files\\Microsoft
SDKs\Wind
ows\v6.0A\lib;"

export
LIBPATH="C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5;C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET
\Framework\v2.0.50727;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\VC\ATLMFC\LIB
;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\LIB;"

export PATH=/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Visual\ Studio\
9.0/Common7/ID
E:/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Visual\ Studio\
9.0/VC/BIN:/cygdrive/c/P
rogram\ Files/Microsoft\ Visual\ Studio\
9.0/Common7/Tools:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/M
icrosoft.NET/Framework/v3.5:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.507
27:/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Visual\ Studio\
9.0/VC/VCPackages:/cygd
rive/c/Program\ Files//Microsoft\
SDKs/Windows/v6.0A/bin:/cygdrive/c/emacs/emacs
-21.3/bin/:${PATH}

You can just run vcvars.bat in a shell, then type set to see the values
for your compiler.  The important ones are INCLUDE, LIB, LIBPATH, and
putting cl in your PATH.
>> 2. run cmake-gui from a shell that has vsvars.bat already run in it.
>
> Yes, but that's a pain and it's ugly :)

If you put cmake in your path it is not that ugly.  Just start up the
shell that you are going to run nmake from and then run cmake-gui from
it.  You are already going to have to have the shell to run nmake anyway.

-Bill