[CMake] Xcode generator?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Apr 16 21:04:27 EDT 2009

Robert Dailey wrote:

> Thanks for explaining Bill. What you've just explained is very confusing
> to me. What I'm trying to do is investigate CMake a bit more so we can
> get it working for the iPhone. However, what you've just brought up I
> still have a few more questions about but to ask them would be getting a
> bit off-topic from CMake itself. I need to figure out why the linker
> would require library A to be linked in twice, and perhaps the best way
> to do this is to look at an existing project that actually specifies a
> library to be linked multiple times.
>
> As a final request (again, to avoid going off-topic), I would really
> appreciate it if you could reference me to any reading materials on this
> subject. Perhaps if Xcode does not allow a single library to be added
> multiple times means that not every library must be linked against more
> than one time regardless of the result of flattening the dependency tree?
>
> Again, thanks for the help Bill. I've been primarily stuck on Windows as
> a developer and I'm not familiar with such a linker requirement.

Here is some information about the problem:

http://beta.boost.org/doc/tools/build/doc/html/bbv2/faq/s05.html
http://unix.compufutura.com/mac/ch05_05.htm
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/unices/9738/

The big problem with Xcode is that there is no way to have an executable
depend on a non-Xcode library.   Lets say you have exe foo, and it links
to libA.a, when libA.a changes foo needs to re-link.  There is no way to
do that in Xcode.

-Bill