[CMake] Xcode generator?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Apr 16 20:25:00 EDT 2009

Robert Dailey wrote:

> What do you mean "specified order"? Why does the order of static
> libraries matter? And also what do you mean by "repeats"?
Linkers on unix (including apple) require that the order of static
libraries be specified in order of symbol usage.   Sometimes this
requires a library to be repeated more than once on the link line, like
-lA -lB -lA.  If A and B are Xcode static libraries, and you have
executable C that uses them, there is no way in Xcode other than raw
linker commands to get it to use -lA -lB -lA.  So, CMake uses -lA -lB
-lA all the time.  The problem comes in because you can not put external
depends on a C in Xcode.  So, we use a helper makefile to remove C if A
or B changes.   It is really horrible, but at least Xcode provided a way
to get around the problem using makefiles....

-Bill