[CMake] iPhone development with CMake (xcode generator)

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 15:58:40 EDT 2009

2009/4/9 Alexander Neundorf <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net>

> This is cross compiling, right ?

Yes. You compile the ARM code for the device on a different platform. For
example, on Windows I'd compile the ARM application and then transfer that
binary to the device to be executed.

> Does Xcode support this out of the box ?

Support *what* outside of the box? If you're talking about cross compiling,
then yes. It just uses GCCE, which itself is a cross compiler.

What is the difference between the iPhone and the simulator ? (I guess the
> simulator is also a virtual ARM machine, right  ?)

The simulator runs x86 code, which is why applications for the device and
the simulator must be compiled separately. We call it a simulator and not an
emulator for this reason.