[CMake] Finding (and linking) gettext with CMake 2.4.x

Naram Qashat cyberbotx at cyberbotx.com
Fri Apr 3 22:03:31 EDT 2009

On the project I'm working on, one of the developers expressed interest in
utilizing gettext to handle internationalization and localization.  I found that
CMake 2.6.0 and newer have a FindGettext.cmake module which would allow us to
utilize gettext for this.  However, I've made our CMake build files able to
function under CMake 2.4.x as well, due to our users compiling our software on
shells that may not have the latest CMake, and there is no FindGettext.cmake
with those versions.  Is it possible to include FindGettext.cmake in the root
directory of my project and utilize that if CMake 2.4.x is used?

Another related question has to do with linking to gettext.  I know that on
Linux, gettext is built into gcc and doesn't need to be linked.  But I use
FreeBSD as my main system to compile our project, and would have to link to
libintl myself.  Would that just be a matter of searching for the intl library
and adding it to the linker flags then?  And would this also apply to linking on
Windows as well?

Thanks,
Naram Qashat