[CMake] cpack, nsis and visual studio 9

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Sep 4 09:47:50 EDT 2008

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Bill Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Did you install service pack 1 for Visual studio 9?
>
> Yes -- it's Visual Studio Express 9.0.30729.1 SP
>
>> We have been having some
>> trouble with that.  It seems that when you compile with VS 9 it puts one
>> manifest in your .exe, and the redist msvcm90.dll manifest has a different
>> version.
>
> Yes, that's exactly the problem!
>
>> One way to tell is to open your .exe file in a text editor and find
>> the embeded xml for the manifest.  Check the version numbers.  They SHOULD
>> match the ones in the .manifest files that are next to the executable.  Also
>> make sure you recompile all the code after you install the service pack.
>
> We're so new to this game we never ever compiled with an older version :-)

Well then, I think it is a bug in Visual Studio Service pack 9!

It creates executables that embed the old version of the manifest, but
ships with redist manifests that are the old (pre service pack)
manifests.  I wonder if you did a simple text edit on the redist
manifests if it would work....  Maybe the .dll's are correct but the
.manifest files are wrong....

-Bill