[CMake] LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY or CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Wed Nov 12 09:24:17 EST 2008

The below is from the CMake 2.6.2 documentation:

	• LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH: Old library location variable.
This variable should no longer be used as of CMake 2.6. Use the
ARCHIVE_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY, LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY, and
RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY target properties instead. They will override
this variable if they are set.

If set, this is the directory where all the libraries built during the
build process will be placed.

When I go looking for documentation on LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY I
don't seem to find anything but I do find
CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY. Which one is correct and which one
should I be using?

I currently use something like:

# ---------- Setup output Directories -------------------------
SET (LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH
   ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/lib
   CACHE PATH
   "Directory for all Libraries"
   )

# --------- Setup the Executable output Directory -------------
SET (EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH
   ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/bin
   CACHE PATH
   "Directory for all Executables."
   )

Which evidently is being deprecated in favor of
LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY or CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY.

Comments?

Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson at bluequartz.net