[CMake] CPack DEB Packaging: Automate dependency resolution

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 18:28:09 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Alexander Neundorf
<a.neundorf-work at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 November 2008, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> >
>> > You really should be using Debian utilities.
>>
>> Not unless you are on a debian machine. Technically nothing should
>> prevent your from creating a deb package on redhat/slackware/...
>
> Yes.
> Maybe we need to separate between debian packages intended for inclusion in
> debian, and debian packages created by 3rd parties intended to be distributed
> just for their app, without immediate goal of being included in debian.
> The first case, then you probably want to use the debian packaging tools,
> because you have to follow all guidelines. Then you probably also have (?) to
> create debian source packages. I think creating debian source packages with
> cmake doesn't make sense.
> http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/doc/maint/Maintenance-pkgbuild.html
> A debian source package consists of the source archive, the debian patches and
> a metadata file.
> So what should a debian source package generator generate ?
> The orig.tar.gz is no problem, cmake does that.
> The metadata file is just a text file which accompanies the tar file and can
> just be written by the packager, I don't see what cmake should do there.
>
> The diff.gz file would always be empty. Since the debian source package for a
> cmake package would be created directly from the sources, it could never
> include a patch (since this is always an add-on to the sources, but the
> source package would be created by the sources, which just doesn't have any
> patches against itself).
> Am I wrong with this ?

Indeed cmake would be of limited help here. But as I said there some
painful steps in writing debian specific files:
- explicit listing of src dependencie, this is a trial and error step
AFAIK, while this is *completely* automated using cmake, this also
means that depending on build option src deb may be varying (which is
something DD don't care about, but is pretty cool anyway. ).
- when I spent time designing the layout of the installation, I
certainly do not want to waste  time, in writing a duplicate(*) file
that exactly list how the package should looks like. Eg. typical
package are split in 'libs', 'tools', 'dev','python-libs' ...
Of course cmake leaves me with a little too mcuh flexibility but it is
currently a pain to maintain the installation layout in both cmake and
the equivalent debian/* files.

So my initial re-write of the deb packager was to generate the
separation of group of pakage.

To illustrate; here is an example:

http://gdcm.svn.sf.net/viewvc/gdcm/trunk/debian/libgdcm2-dev.install?revision=4449&view=markup

This exactly match what cpack sees as "development" group package...

Make sense ?

--
Mathieu
(*) and by duplicate I really mean it. Look for example at the vtk