[CMake] cmake and wxwidgets on windows

Werner Smekal smekal at iap.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Nov 4 11:32:57 EST 2008

Hi Miguel,

> Thanks Werner. However, I'm not sure what the correct solution is... I
> googled a bit and can't find any documentation indicating that
> _UNICODE needs to be defined.
>
> From the following link:
>
> http://docs.wxwidgets.org/stable/wx_unicode.html
>
> it seems that using the correct macros (i.e., wxT(), etc.) should
> suffice. There is some information below that suggests that maybe
> wxUSE_UNICODE is the macro to define, but even there it is not clear
> if this should be done in user code or build configuration.
>
> If somebody can point me to the appropriate documentation or samples
> in the wiki, I'll appreciate it.

It's actually defined in wx/platform.h

http://svn.wxwidgets.org/viewvc/wx/wxWidgets/trunk/include/wx/platform.h?view=markup

if _UNICODE is set, wxUSE_UNICODE will be set. Problem here is and
although I use wxWidgets now for 8 years, I still don't know how this
setup.h procedure should work correctly. Actually the "mistake" of
John was, that he compiled wxWidgets with UNICODE=1 setting on the
mingw32-make command line. But then after that you are supposed to
make the settings in setup.h on your own (change wxUSE_UNICODE to 1).
This is because there is no configure which does that for you.
Obviously this _UNICODE workaround is also used, look e.g. here

http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/9429

So it's either that we believe the user should handle that on him/her
own, or the wxWidgets module just defines the _UNICODE macro which
shouldn't do any harm. Maybe we should ask the wxWidgets list.

Regards,
Werner

--
Dr. Werner Smekal
Institut fuer Allgemeine Physik

email: smekal at iap.tuwien.ac.at
web: http://www.iap.tuwien.ac.at/~smekal
phone: +43-(0)1-58801-13463 (office), +43-(0)1-58801-13469 (laboratory)
fax: +43-(0)1-58801-13499