[CMake] CMake, ITK, VTK, and Qt 4

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed May 28 23:23:31 EDT 2008

> This question involves the interaction of several different toolkits during
> the CMake configuration process, so I apologize if this is the wrong venue.
> I'm receiving the error:
>
> "Warning: CMake is forcing CMAKE_CXX_RELEASE_FLAGS to "/MD /O2 /Ob2 /DNDEBUG
> -DQT_NO_DEBUG" to match that imported from VTK"

I believe this is a harmless warning that is basically saying cmake
will generate a project for your app with compatible settings from
what you compiled VTK.

> ...when building the InsightApplications repository (with VTK support turned
> on). This message only appears when VTK is built with Qt support; with Qt
> support in VTK disabled there's no problem. This message also appears in
> CMake with our in-house application that uses ITK/VTK/Qt. So far we've been
> hitting Cancel to ignore the warning, apparently without consequence (the
> app compiles and runs correctly).
>
> This appears unrelated the particular build configuration; I typically build
> both ITK and VTK in both release and debug modes and rely on the cmake
> generated project to resolve the correct library set at link time. This
> works fine in both release and debug modes without Qt enabled in VTK. Again,
> even with Qt enabled, the generated project appears correct despite the
> warning.
>
> Any thoughts? The applicable software versions are:
>
> CMake 2.4.8
> VTK 5.0.4
> ITK 3.4 and 3.6 (both tested)
> Qt 4.3.4
> Windows Vista with VS 2005 standard

I have got Qt 4.3.X + VTK 5.X.X + ITK 3.6 to work fine but I am not
using CMake 2.4.8. I am instead using CMake 2.7.X which I downloaded
of the nightly windows cvs build. I am using this with visual C++
2003.

John