[CMake] CTest & VS 2003 question...

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Sat May 24 12:20:32 EDT 2008

Michael Andronov wrote:

> 4. cmake run with no problem indication;
>
> 5. When VS 2003 is opened,  the projects are built with no problem
> indication.
>
> So far everything behaved as expected. Now, the `unexplained' started:
>
>  u.1.   Attempt to build RUN_TESTS project within VS 2003 finishes with
> message:
>          ''  foo.dll not found. ''.  At the same time:
>           a. the foo.dll is definitely present within specified directory.
>           b. execution of test1, test2, test3, or test4 from the same
> environment is running fine.
>           c. root/kernel/bin/Release is within CTEST_ENVIRONMENT variable;

That is only for use in ctest -S scripts.  There is no way to set the
the ctest environment from the add_test command right now.

>  u.2   At the same time, running ctest within Windows command line
> window, within
>          root/  subdirectory, running fine, executing all 4 simple
> tests, with no indication of
>          missing foo.dll

This must mean that root/kernel/bin/Release is in your PATH from the
command line.  VS 2003 has its own PATH variable.  It is in the Options
menu somewhere...

>  u3.   Generating the VS 2005 solution/projects from the same scripts,
> ends up with expected
>           behavior. Attempt to build RUN_TESTS project, ends up in
> execution of 4 tests, with no
>           indication of missing foo.dll

When you install VS, it copies the PATH as it was during install.  So,
my guess is that you installed VS 2005 after 2003, and in between you
added root/kernel/bin/Release to your PATH.

-Bill