[CMake] Dealing with dll PATH on Windows

KSpam keesling_spam at cox.net
Fri May 23 12:15:45 EDT 2008

Bill,

On Friday 23 May 2008 06:14:27 Bill Hoffman wrote:
> So, there is not much CMake can do for you.  The only thing you can do
> on windows is make sure that .exe and .dll files are all in the same
> directory.  Windows always looks first in the directory of the .exe for
> any .dll files it needs.  CMake can put the files in the same directory.
>   That is what we do for software development and distribution on Windows.

Since the developers can use different versions of the same third-party
library, I do not have the option to put all dlls in the same directory.

I could potentially create custom commands to copy all of the runtime-required
dlls to a single directory, but I really do not want to do this.

The slnenv add-in (mentioned in previous posts) would give me the capability
that I need.  I could simply add a single line to the slnenv file in order to
set PATH.  My only problem is trying to generate a slnenv file for each sln
file generated.  My project has a hierarchical structure, and I can build
from lower-level solution files if I only want to build subportions of the
overall project.  This means I would have to generate a slnenv file for the
lower-level sln files in addition to the top-level sln file.

I would just like to know the best way to generate the slnenv files.

Thanks,
Justin