[CMake] Dealing with dll PATH on Windows

KSpam keesling_spam at cox.net
Thu May 22 04:10:33 EDT 2008

I have been searching for a convenient way to deal with PATH on Windows.  Here
are my requirements:

1) Multiple third party libraries, each with their own unique dll directory
(i.e. no shared directory to dump dlls in)
2) Third party library locations can change (i.e. I want to upgrade lib FOO to
a new version in a different directory)
3) Users (developers) running executables from Visual Studio should not need
to worry about setting PATH

At first, this seemed like a tall order ... too bad there is no such thing as
RPATH in Visual Studio.  I found a very promising add-in for Visual Studio
that provides the ability to set environment variables before loading
solutions and before building.  This add-in can be found here:

http://workspacewhiz.com/OtherAddins.html#SolutionBuildEnvironment
http://www.workspacewhiz.com/SolutionBuildEnvironmentReadme.html

Using this add-in would require that I create a corresponding .slnenv file for
each .sln file generated by CMake.  In my case, the contents of the .slnenv
files can be the same (I am just setting PATH).

What is the best way to accomplish generating a .slnenv file for each
generated .sln file?

It seems like this type of capability would greatly enhance the usability of
CMake for developers using Visual Studio.  Would this add-in make sense as an
enhancement to CMake?

Respectfully,
Justin