[CMake] [Paraview] paraview CVS xcodebuild

Mike Jackson imikejackson at gmail.com
Thu May 8 11:22:50 EDT 2008

On May 8, 2008, at 11:08 AM, Bill Hoffman wrote:

> Mike Jackson wrote:
>
>>> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-
>>> research.com <mailto:sean at rogue-research.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     On 5/7/08 3:52 PM, jonathan grimm said:
>>>
>>>     >paraview CVS xcodebuild is no longer working.  On a Mac Pro
>>> 16GB
>>>     ram with
>>>     >10.5.  I checked and xcodebuild is a 32 bit executable.
>>>     >Makefiles work on the same machine.
>>>     >Is there anything that can be done about this?
>>> The .xcodeproj is
>>>     only 14
>>>     >MB.
>>>
>>>     Not working how?  It crashes? it's stuck in an infinite loop?
>>> what?
>>>     Which version of CMake?  Of paraview?  Of Xcode?  You're not
>>> telling
>>>     enough for anyone to help.
>>>
> Runs out of memory and dies.  I sent stuff to apple a while ago and
> they sort of said it was too big.  No one would create something
> like this by hand because it is too much work.   Sad part is visual
> studio handles projects this size with no problem at all.
>
> -Bill

Did Apple offer any other advice on how to reduce the memory
footprint? If it is just the fact of a project file being too large
then almost all hope is shot.. but there are a few things to look at.

1: Create an Xcode project that uses makefiles instead of its own
build system internals but listing all the files may be the problem
here.

2: Create the Xcode project that contains project references to
subprojects (in the case of paraview, each subdirectory would have
its own project file, like vtk, etc). This may make each project file
smaller and therefor loadable by Xcode. This does mean that using
Xcode now requires lots of windows to be open but that may be the
price that is paid for Apples inability to create a project file that
scales well.

Now knowing where the problem lies I am just guessing at this point
on how to reduce the memory footprint so the Xcode project scales
better.. or the CMake team has just found the limit for Xcode and
that is how the world works in "Apple Land".

Personally I find Xcode lacking in C++ support (Code sense wise) so I
use Eclipse CDT with makefiles.

Again. just my 2 cents.

--
Mike Jackson   Senior Research Engineer