[CMake] Google Summer of Code, Cmake and PHP

Pierre Joye pierre.php at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 06:43:15 EDT 2008

Hi there,

Here again is the time for a new Google Summer of Code edition and it
is a good opportunity for OS projects to welcome students in their
teams. This year, one of the PHP project ideas is to move its build
system from autotools/Cscript to CMake, for PHP itself and for the
PECL (PHP extension repository).

PHP currently uses autotools and some platform specific tools (like
cscript on windows) for its build suites. There is no cross platform
build tools and only linux is fully supported. Many of us have been
using CMake for various projects and enjoy its power and simplicity.
Having a CMake build suite for PHP working on every supported
platforms will help not only PHP but also to spread CMake to an even
wider audience. CDash and CTest usage is also planed as soon as
the initial phases are up and running.

If you are interested in participating as student for this idea (or any
other), please read our Google Summer of Code page:

http://wiki.php.net/gsoc/2008#replace_auto_with_cmake

as well the Google Summer of Code FAQ:
http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html

Feel free to contact us if you any question. I also read this mailing
list if you would like to ask something here.