[CMake] How to make Visual Studio .vcproj with relative paths

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Tue Mar 25 05:47:41 EDT 2008

> Von: "Olaf van der Spek"
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Alexander Neundorf
> <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net> wrote:
> >  Not really.
> >  Why do you actually want to ship VS project files ?
>
> To avoid a dependency on cmake. The library user probably doesn't have
> cmake installed and it would be nice if he could directly open the
> .sln file and build the library.

You've the dependency on VisualStudio (and maybe other external libs) but are afraid of the cmake dependency?
Throw away the idea of shipping indivudal .vcproj files. Today I had to install three external libs and every one had a whole bunch of Makefiles (cygwin, gnu, osx, sun, ...) and .vcproj - Files (vs6, vs7, vs8 - I wonder if they don't support vs9 ;) ). This looks very professional and I won't think about the administration effort to keep all of them up-to-date.
Oh, and because they don't support out-of-source builds they also shipped a clean.bat file to clean up all the files created by vs...

A single CMakeLists.txt would make all the above superflous.

Nobody forces you to use CMake - just write and maintain your .vcproj by your own ;)

Christian
--
Psst! Geheimtipp: Online Games kostenlos spielen bei den GMX Free Games!
http://games.entertainment.gmx.net/de/entertainment/games/free