[CMake] Obtaining improved GNU make performance on Makefiles generated by cmake

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Mar 24 15:28:00 EDT 2008

OK, so for a small project like PLplot, where it does a make in 1 to 2
seconds if nothing needs to be done, this stuff really does does not
matter that much.  Adding the phony targets may have actually made it
take longer as make would have to parse that much more stuff.   As for
the new way cmake does the depend stuff, I think the new approach is
much better for larger projects like KDE/ParaView.  Basically for those
larger projects make sometarget was almost unusable.  We create
sometarget/fast to get around the problem, but people lost some depend
checks.   It is basically a trade off between large and small projects.
  If it only takes a fraction of a second longer for the small project
but saves minutes on the larger projects, then lets save minutes.   The
phony change is good because it fixes the make test issue. I think the
makefiles are tuned well enough for me right now.  If someone wants to
contribute patches that show improvement that is fine as well.   The
cmake_force stuff is not used that much anyway.  It is only used for
foo.i which are targets that are not part of the all build anyway.

-Bill