[CMake] How to make Visual Studio .vcproj with relative paths

Olaf van der Spek olafvdspek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 14:58:42 EDT 2008

Hi,

This is a follow up to http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=6642
I'm developing on Windows using Visual Studio 8 and in my project I
use libraries like libogg, libvorbis, libpng, libbz2 and libz.
Some of those libs ship VS files, some don't. Some include VS6 files,
some VS7 or VS8.
Most of the library developers probably don't have VS or even Windows.
Now I've been wondering, would it be possible to make the VS project
(and solution) files using cmake, on Linux?
The first obstacle would be the use of absolute paths in the .vcproj
file. VS itself uses relative paths, so this should be possible.
The second obstacle is that the generated .vcproj file still depends
on cmake (as far as I know).
The third one is that cmake doesn't allow generating Windows VS
project files on Linux.

Cmake seems like a good candidate, but maybe it's just the wrong tool
for the job.
The project files I'd like to generate don't seem that complex, but
maybe I'm overlooking something.

Is there a chance support for this usecase could be added to cmake?

Greetings,

Olaf