[CMake] PLplot issues with the cvs version of CMake

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Mar 20 18:04:39 EDT 2008

Hi Bill:

I changed the subject line to something more appropriate and will get back
to the original subject of generated Makefile efficiency in due course.

On 2008-03-20 16:46-0400 Bill Hoffman wrote:

> I guess we failed with the message....
>
> "The easiest way to avoid this warning is to set policy CMP0003 to NEW and
> try to build the project. "

No, that's fine, and I understood that message's implications about the lack
of full library paths in the wxwidgets component of PLplot.

> IF(COMMAND CMAKE_POLICY)
>  CMAKE_POLICY(SET CMP0003 NEW)
> ENDIF(COMMAND CMAKE_POLICY)

Thanks for that method of setting policy for the cmake cvs version in such a
way that it does not interfere with cmake-2.4.8 builds.  However, I am only
go to need that temporarily until I complete the switch to full library
paths.  I want those in any case for the 2.4.8 version of CMake since that
allows setting rpath appropriately if the library is in a non-standard
install location.

What do you recommend for detecting CMake version (to remove
an ugly Fortran workaround required for 2.4.x only if I am using the cvs
version of CMake)?

> If your project still links with that change, then you are good.  If it can
> not find a library, then you either need to full path that library or add a
> link_directories call to give the path for the library that can not be found.
>
> That said, I tried to build plplot and I got errors with wxWidgets that
> looked like there were missing -I stuff.  So, the command line had stuff
> like -I-D_WXSOMETHING, so the -D was lost and it caused an error.  I have not
> yet tracked down where the empty -I stuff is coming from in plplot.

Thanks for pointing out that empty -I.  I will track down why the cvs
version of CMake does that (while 2.4.8 does not) and get back to you. In
any case, it sounds like this PLplot/CMake cvs problem has nothing to do
with the above issue with libraries specified without their full path name.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).