[CMake] Obtaining improved GNU make performance on Makefiles generated by cmake

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Mar 20 12:42:25 EDT 2008

On 2008-03-18 10:06-0400 Bill Hoffman wrote:

> I played around with make -d and -p and found that the .SUFFIXES rule that
> was supposed to be removing the implicit rules for gmake was not working for
> everything.   SCCS and RCS were being checked for a bunch of stuff.   Anyway,
> try this and see if it improves the issue you were seeing:
>

> $ cvs commit -m "ENH: try to improve make speed by getting rid of some
> implicit rules that were still around." cmLocalUnixMakefileGenerator3.cxx
> /cvsroot/CMake/CMake/Source/cmLocalUnixMakefileGenerator3.cxx,v  <--
> cmLocalUnixMakefileGenerator3.cxx
> new revision: 1.241; previous revision: 1.240

Hi Bill:

It's going to take a while because I am running into problems configuring
and building PLplot with the cvs version of CMake.  Some if not all of this
is our fault.  For example, the cvs version of CMake has warned about
non-unique target names which is an issue I definitely want to address.
Also, the PLplot build fails, but I want to get rid of the cmake warnings
before investigating that build issue any further.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).