[CMake] Solaris/Slicer3 advice needed

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Mar 18 16:45:27 EDT 2008

Attila Nagy wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm new here, so please be patient! :)
>
> I'm building Slicer3 on Solaris 10 (and OpenSolaris too), together with
> all of it's requirements, CMake included (to be precise: CMake is first
> in the toolchain).
>
> I asked the bellow question on the Slicer-devel list, and I was kindly
> advised to ask it here too, as it rather seems to be a cmake issue.
>
> I build Slicer 3 with cmake version 2.4-patch 2 (as described on the
> Slicer pages), and no problem up until Slicer. When it comes to Slicer,
> "suddenly" a "-lutil" linker flag gets added to the
> [slicer3-build-dir]/[whatever_path]/build.make files, and the
> compilation stops, as the linker cannot find -lutil.
> But only if I do it with gcc... If I build with Sun's cc/CC (build the
> whole "toolchain" with that), no "-lutil" gets added to those build.make
> files.
> There is no such thing as libutil.so on Solaris, and Slicer certainly
> does not need it here. (this lib does not exist on neither Windows, nor
> on the Mac).
> I wrote a one-liner script to replace the string "-lutil" with "" as a
> workaround, but that's just an ugly hack :)
> There is no such problem with - for example - neither ITK or VTK.
> I have not found _any_ sign of "libutil" "lutil" or "LIBUTIL" or similar
> string in the Slicer sources, so I'm practically lost here...
> I'm not a CMake expert, so therefore I kindly ask you for some advice
> where to start with this issue. Where/what would you look for this issue
> first?

OK, well, this has to be something in the Slicer cmake code, as CMake
does not go around adding libraries.  But, I would suggest that you look
at the CMakeCache.txt as CMake stores library depends in this file.  You
might be able to figure out where this is coming from.   If you want you
can email me the build.make and CMakeCache.txt off the list, and I might
be able to help.

-Bill