[CMake] cmake 2.4.8 trouble (paraview)

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Wed Mar 5 16:30:30 EST 2008

On Wednesday 05 March 2008, John Biddiscombe wrote:
>  I just upgraded to cmake 2.4.8 with a clean copy from cmake website,
> cleaned my paraview tree and did a build. I now get all this. It's the
> STATIC build issue that troubles me (though there are poblems with
> vtk/utilities/encodestring too - I had to coment out EXPORT in cmakelists).
> Any ideas what's gone wrong. I'm using VS 8 (2005)

This is paraview cvs, right ?
This is from the top of the top level CMakeLists.txt of ParaView:

# EXPORT() will be in cmake 2.6, add an empty macro so
# cmake 2.4 is still able to build ParaView3
IF(NOT COMMAND EXPORT)
  MACRO(EXPORT)
  ENDMACRO(EXPORT)
ENDIF(NOT COMMAND EXPORT)

# GET_PROPERTY() will be in cmake 2.6
IF(COMMAND GET_PROPERTY)
  GET_PROPERTY(PV_TARGET_SUPPORTS_SHARED_LIBS
    GLOBAL PROPERTY TARGET_SUPPORTS_SHARED_LIBS)
ELSE(COMMAND GET_PROPERTY)
  SET(PV_TARGET_SUPPORTS_SHARED_LIBS  TRUE)
ENDIF(COMMAND GET_PROPERTY)

These are the two problems you are experiencing:
EXPORT() is defined if it doesn't exist in cmake, and GET_PROPERTY() is used
only if it exists, to determine whether shared libs are supported.
Both seem to go wrong in your case. I just checked here with cmake 2.4.8 and
it goes into the right branches.
Can you please check how it behaves on your system ?

Alex