[CMake] Sebastian Barre's private flames

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 15:51:39 EST 2008

Ok, I think it's time to call the private behavior of Kitware employee
Sebastian Barre to the attention of the list.  I've repeatedly asked
him to stop sending me private e-mail flames, and he simply will not
do it.  This is the 3rd flame he's sent since being point blank asked
to stop initiating private communication with me.  I brought this to
Bill's attention; he said it's Sebastian's private e-mail and he
didn't want to get involved.  I will be getting Google involved as he
is in clear violation of their Terms Of Service.  It amazes me that
any so-called "professional" feels they have the right to routinely
engage in what every ISP out there defines as harassment, let alone
one representing a company such as Kitware.

Meanwhile, let's get the CMake community involved.  Do you think it's
acceptable for a Kitware employee to be harassing me in private e-mail
over and over again?   The amount of ill will that Sebastian has
singlehandedly created in the past few days is considerable.  Bill's
unwillingness to do anything about Sebastian makes me think he pretty
much agrees with Sebastian's opinions, and would like nothing better
than to drive me out of here.  If this is how Kitware thinks it's
acceptable to do business in an open source community, there is going
to be a sea change in how the open source world deploys CMake's core
technology.

Below is Sebastian's most recent missive:

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Sebastien BARRE
<sebastien.barre at gmail.com> wrote:
> At 3/4/2008 01:40 PM, you wrote:
>
>  >I said one can debate it.  Your position seems to be that one cannot
>  >debate it, and shouldn't be allowed to debate it.
>
>  Keyword "seems", as in: it's actually not what I said.
>

>  >I think everyone is capable of forming their own opinion of how precious CMake
>  >script is to any given company, and how many companies would be only
>  >too glad to move on if a viable alternative was available to them.
>
>  No, not everyone can, because not everyone is working on the CMake
>  product, and is interacting with those companies, customers, etc. on
>  a daily basis. You, especially, are not, so when you try to say that
>  it's a small/moot point you actually have nothing to base this claim
>  on, as usual; this is FUD, and you will find the corresponding answer
>  on the mailing list from now on. When I say that's it's an important
>  point, I actually do have the facts and experience to back it up,
>  since that's what we do. Do you understand the difference?
>

>  >Be advised: if there's a real market need and you're not willing to
>  >fulfill it, someone always comes along who will.
>
>  I'm shaking in my boots. Please refrain from talking about our
>  business or marketing, as I'm afraid you don't have a clue about it,
>  and admitted it a few days ago if I recall. Do I need to send an
>  email to Google to "make you stop"? (<- joke).

Below is the kind of missive that led me to ask Sebastian to stop
sending me private e-mails.  I tolerated his diatribe and tried to get
him to see my point of view.  When that proved impossible I asked him
to stop contacting me privately, and he has refused.  In fact, he
seems to delight in sending me more private flames, just to prove that
I can't tell him what to do.

Brandon Van Every