[CMake] Lua in a nutshell

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Tue Mar 4 13:29:26 EST 2008

At 3/4/2008 12:28 PM, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> >  >
> >  > - CMake script must be maintained indefinitely for a small percentage
> >  > of users no matter what the migration strategy
>
>BTW, this point is intended to mean that CMake script must always be
>supported, even under the most wildly optimistic migration strategy.
>One can debate how many CMake script users will have to be supported

FIY, no, not really, one does not have to debate about it IMHO. At
this very moment, I can tell you this number is right about 100% of
the users who have been writing CMake script at one time or another
(sometimes, a *lot* of CMake script) and rely on it. You can not, for
the sake of a rhetorical argument, discard them, call them "small" or
insinuate they are worth being supported or not. I'd say they are,
and this is an important point.

>Still, all of this suggests a Virtual Machine approach to CMake.

Or an operating system in CMake.
Or a space shuttle.